ELECTRONIC BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR Quick Start Guide MODEL: ABP801
The ABP801 Blood Pressure Monitor uses the oscillometric method of blood pressure measurement. ABP801 Blood Pressure Monitor is intended for use by medical professionals or at home to monitor and display diastolic, systolic blood pressure and pulse rate, with an air wrist cuff buckled around one's wrist. The expected life of the product is 5 years. This product complies with the electromagnetic compatibility requirement of EN60601-1-2 and safety standards of EN60601-1 and performance of EN1060-1. EN1060-3 as specified in EEC directive 93/42/EEC.
Patient must follow doctor's instruction and should not perform self-judgment and self-treatment by the measuring result. Self-diagnosis of measured results and treatment are dangerous. The device should not be used to judge illness, first aid, and continuously measuring. This device cannot be used for patient transport and surgical care. It can be used in a household or fixed place only. Please press "on/off" button to stop the device when you feel uncomfortable, or if the air is inflating abnormally without stopping.
Do not let a child below 12 years old and people who cannot express their intention use this. When it is used by the people of 12~18 years old, they should be accompanied by an adult.
Do not use the unit for a purpose other than measuring blood pressure.
Do not use a mobile phone around the device. Please do not use the device around a magnetic field.
Do not disassemble, repair, or remodel the main unit or the wrist cuff of the blood pressure monitor. This will cause the unit to malfunction.
Requests from Manufacturer:
|Make sure the connection tubing is not kinked before measuring to avoid any injury to patient.|
|Do not measure more than 3 times continuously. Wait for at least 5 minutes between any two measurements; otherwise it will cause extravasated blood.|
|Do not measure your blood pressure over 6 times each day.|
|Do not apply the cuff over a wound as this can cause further injury.|
|Do not measure on the wrist on the same side as a mastectomy, otherwise it could cause injury.|
|Observe the air pressure value on the LCD display.|
|When measuring, it should not exceed 299 mmHg, otherwise please press the "on/off" button to stop.|
|Do not use force to bend the wrist cuff or the air tube.|
|Do not knock or drop the main unit.|
|Always use the accessories specified in the manual. The use of other parts not approved by the manufacturer may cause faults or injuries.|
|For service information, parts list, etc., please contact the dealer.|
ABOUT BLOOD PRESSURE
1. What is blood pressure? Blood pressure is the force exerted by blood against the walls of the arteries. Systolic pressure occurs when the heart contracts. Diastolic pressure occurs when the heart expands. Blood pressure is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg). One's natural blood pressure is represented by the fundamental pressure, which is measured first thing in the morning while one is still at rest and before eating.
2. What is hypertension and how is it controlled? Hypertension, an abnormally high arterial blood pressure, if left unattended, can cause many health problems including stroke and heart attack. Hypertension can be controlled by altering lifestyle, avoiding stress, and with medication under a doctor's supervision. To prevent hypertension or keep it under control: * Do not smoke * Exercise regularly * Reduce salt and fat intake * Have regular physical checkups * Maintain proper weight
3. Why measure blood pressure at home? Blood pressure measured at a clinic or doctor's office may cause apprehension and produce an elevated reading, 25 to 30 mmHg higher than that measured at home. Home measurement reduces the effects of outside influences on blood pressure readings, supplements the doctor's readings, and provides a more accurate, complete blood pressure history.
4. W.H.O. blood pressure classification Standards for assessment of high blood pressure, without regard to age, have been established by the World Health Organization (WHO), and are shown in chart to the right.
5. Blood pressure variations. An individual's blood pressure varies greatly on a daily and seasonal basis. It may vary by 30 to 50 mmHg due to various conditions during the day. In hypertensive individuals, variations are even more pronounced. Normally, the blood pressure rises while at work or play and falls to its lowest levels during sleep. So, do not be overly concerned by the results of one measurement. Take measurements at the same time every day using the procedure described in this manual to determine your normal blood pressure. Many readings give a more comprehensive blood pressure history. Be sure to note date and time when recording your blood pressure. Consult your doctor to interpret your blood pressure data.
PRECAUTIONS BEFORE USE
1. If you are taking medication, consult with your doctor to determine the most appropriate time to measure your blood pressure. NEVER change a prescribed medication without first consulting with your doctor.
2. For people with irregular or unstable peripheral circulation problems due to diabetes, liver disease, hardening of the arteries, etc., there may be fluctuation in blood pressure values measured at the upper arm versus at the wrist.
3. Measurements may be impaired if this device is used near televisions, microwave ovens, X-ray, mobile phone equipment, or other devices with strong electrical fields. To prevent such interference, use the monitor at a sufficient distance away from such devices or turn them off.
4. Before using, you should wash your hands.
5. Do not measure on the arm which is being used by monitoring ME Equipment. Otherwise it could cause loss of function.
6. Consult your doctor if unexpected readings are obtained. Also please refer to "TROUBLESHOOTING" section of the manual.
7. The reading is probably a little lower than measured in the hospital due to the steady mood at home.
8. Cuff pressure range is 0-299mmHg
FEATURES OF THE PRODUCT
1. Memory can store 90 measurements.
2. Large and clear LCD display.
3. WHO blood pressure classification display.
4. Easy to use. Press a button to automatically measure and record the measurement values and measurement time.
5. Automatically turns off (within 1 minute) to save power.
INSERT OR REPLACE BATTERIES
1. Remove the battery cover.
2. Insert new batteries into the battery compartment as shown, taking care that the polarities (+) and (-) are correct.
3. Close the battery cover. Use only LR03, AAA batteries.
Dispose of dead batteries to the authorized collecting party according to the regulation of each individual territory.
* Insert the batteries as shown in the battery compartment. If not, the device will not work.
* When (LOW BATTERY mark) blinks on the display, replace all batteries with new ones. Do not mix old and new batteries. It may shorten the battery life, or cause the device to malfunction. (LOW BATTERY mark) does not appear when the batteries run out.
* Battery life varies with the ambient temperature and may be shorter at low temperatures.
* The batteries may leak and cause a malfunction.
* Use the specified batteries only. The batteries provided with the device are for testing monitor performance and may have a shorter life.
* Used batteries may leak and damage the main unit. Pleases observe the following points:
- If you are not going to use the unit for a long period of time (approximately three months or more), remove the batteries.
- Replace worn batteries with their polarities in the correct direction.
TIME AND VOICE ON/OFF OF SYSTEM SETUP
1. Press the "SET" key to turn on.
2. Press and hold the "SET" key until the year number displays and flashes on LCD to enter the settings mode.
3. Press the "MEM" key to adjust the year, then press the "SET" key again to save your setting and enter the month setting mode.
4. Press the "MEM" key to adjust the month. Following the same steps to adjust date/hour/minute/(Voice on/off) until the setting is completed ("ON" is On, "OF" is Off) Non-talking model does not have this function
UNIT CONVERSION "mmHg/kPa" DISPLAY
The monitor has two kinds of blood pressure display units mm Hg(mmHg), kPa (kPa). (mmHg is the factory default). While the monitor is off, press and hold the ON/OFF button for 5 seconds. The monitor will boot up and measure showing the other unit. (If it was in mmHG it will change to kPa and vice versa.) Also the stored values will be shown in the new unit.
W.H.O. BLOOD PRESSURE CLASSIFICATION DISPLAY
Diastolic blood pressure reference material: journal of hypertension 1999. Vol 17 No.2
ATTACHING THE WRIST CUFF
1. Fastening the wrist cuff 1) Wrap the wrist cuff around your wrist about (1-2) cm away from your hand as shown in the figure at the right. 2) Fasten the wrist cuff tightly by using the Velcro Strip. For proper measurements, fasten the wrist cuff tightly and measure on a bare wrist.
2. How to take proper measurements For best accuracy in blood pressure measurement: ? Sit comfortably at a table. Rest your wrist on the table. ? Relax for about 5 to 10 minutes before measurement. ? Raise your hand so that the wrist cuff is at the same level as your heart. ? Remain still and keep quiet during measurement. ? Do not measure right after physical exercise or a bath. ? Measure your blood pressure at about the same time every day.
HOW TO MEASURE BLOOD PRESSURE
1. Fasten the wrist cuff according to the instructions in "ATTACHING THE WRIST CUFF."
2. Press the "ON/OFF" button, all icons appear for two seconds on DISPLAY, then switch to measurement, and displays "0" or the last measurement record.
3. To start the measurement, the cuff in the strap will automatically inflate. The mark will flash on LCD. When complete, the results will be displayed.
Press the "MEM"button to view the last measurement recorded. Press the "MEM"button again to go through older records. Press the "SET" button to go to more recent records. The number next to "M" on the screen indicates which record it is. The larger the number is, the older the record.
Press and hold the "MEM" button for 5 seconds to delete all of the records in memory. The LCD will display "No" after the records have been deleted.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
To keep your digital blood pressure monitor in the best condition and protect the unit from damage, follow the directions listed below: Keep the monitor in the storage case when not in use. Do not fold the arm cuff too tightly. The fabric fastener could touch the inner surface of the arm cuff and damage it. Clean the monitor and cuff with a soft dry cloth. Do not use any abrasive or volatile cleaners.
CAUTION * Do not submerge the device or any of the components in water. * Do not subject the monitor to extreme hot or cold temperatures, humidity, or direct sunlight. * Store the device and the components in a clean, safe location. * Do not subject the monitor to strong shocks, such as dropping the unit on the floor. * Remove the batteries if the unit will not be used for three months or longer. Always replace all the batteries with new ones at the same time. * This product is designed for use over an extended period of time; however, it is generally recommended that it be inspected and calibrated every two years to ensure proper function and performance.
|Measuring Method||Oscillometric Measurement|
|Indication||Digital LCD display|
|Accuracy:||Static Pressure: ±3mmHg Pulse: ±5%|
|Power supply:||2 x 1.5 V Batteries (LR3 or AAA) Using alkaline batteries will provide over 200 measurements.|
|Operating condition:||+5°C~+40°C 15%RH~93%RH Atmospheric pressure: 70kPa~106kPa|
|Storage condition:||-20°C ~+55°C 0%RH~93%RH Atmospheric pressure: 50kPa~106kPa|
|Weight:||Approx.: 130g, excluding batteries|
|* Specifications may be changed without notice in the event of improvements being made.|
1. Type of protection against electric shock: INTERNALLY POWERED EQUIPMENT.
2. Degree or protection against electric shock: TYPE BF APPLIED PART.
3. Mode of operation: CONTINUOUS OPERATION.
4. Equipment not suitable for category AP & APG equipment use in presence.
The system might not meet its performance specifications if stored or used outside the temperature and humidity as mentioned below:
Operating conditions: +5°C ~+40°C. 15%RH~93%RH 70kPa~106kPa
Storage conditions: -20°C ~+55°C. 0%RH~93%RH
If you have trouble in using the unit please check the following points first.
|ERROR DISPLAY||POSSIBLE CAUSE||HOW TO CORRECT|
|Nothing is displayed when you push the POWER button or battery icon flashes.||No batteries installed
Batteries are dead
The batteries are installed incorrectly
Replace with New Batteries
Insert batteries in the correct polarities
|Cannot normally increase pressure||Check your wrist cuff for any air leakage||Replace wrist cuff with new one|
|Inflate pressure is too high||Re-measure or send back to dealer to re-calibrate pressure|
|"E3"||Hand or body shaking while measuring||Keep still and and measure again|
|Battery icon on||Batteries have low power||Replace batteries and measure again|
|The systolic pressure value or diastolic pressure value too high||The wrist cuff was held lower than your heart
The wrist cuff was not attached properly
You excessively moved your body or spoke while measuring
|Keep a correct position, remain still, and measure again|
|The systolic pressure value or diastolic pressure value too low||The wrist cuff was held higher than your heart
You excessively moved your body or spoke while measuring
|Keep a correct position, remain still, and measure again|